Sustainability at The Coffee Academïcs
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) is integral to The Coffee Academïcs’ long-term strategy. To make an exceptional cup of coffee, many hands contribute to the process. We make it a point to never forget the heroes behind every bean. Before we even begin our roasting work, we acknowledge the efforts of farmers and producers who we source our coffee beans from. Proudly, we work alongside Capricornio Coffees in Brazil that guarantee all our coffee bean farms are in compliance with international ecological, social, and economic standards. By working closely with farms and organisations that share our sustainability philosophy, we forge a strong network of change-makers to deliver real values on smaller, less fortunate communities in the coffee industry.
Throughout our practice, we strive to reduce our carbon footprint whenever we can. It is of course always a challenge in today's world, as we balance growth with sustainability. Nonetheless, The Coffee Academïcs strive to meet the expectations of our customers by carrying out initiatives to reduce waste. These include the following:
Bring Your Own Cup (B.Y.O.C.)
- TCA has been showing its support for the environment by encouraging customers to bring their own cups into our outlets. Customers who bring their own cups can enjoy HKD 3 reduction on beverages.
- We also launched TCA stainless steel flasker in line with this environmental friendly campaign which encourages customers to dispose the use of paper cups.
Advocate a plant-based lifestyle
- TCA is among the earliest adopters in Hong Kong of vegan milk for our coffee, and plant-forward ingredients for our food menu. Discover our menu here.
Upcycling Workshop - Coffee Tie Dye
- TCA co-organised Coffee Tie Dye workshop with instructor from Giant Tie Dye in March 2018, with the use of our house blend coffee grounds.
Biodegradable Takeaway Cutlery
- All takeaway cutlery used in outlets or catering and events purpose are corn starch cutlery, which are not only eco-friendly but also toxic free (do not leach substances into food).
100% Biodegradable Espresso Coffee Capsules
- This Nespresso-compatible capsule product is 100% biodegradable, including the lid on top of each capsule, which is usually made of foil.
Reusable Stainless Steel Straw
- TCA provides reusable stainless steel straws in all outlets and is slowly phasing out plastic straws.
Lid Free for Takeaway Orders
- TCA staff encourage customers not to use plastic lids for takeaway orders.
Esmeralda Geisha 601 BeCandle
- A collaboration with local candle company to create an artisan soy candle that is made of the recycled coffee grounds of the exclusive Esmeralda 601 Geisha (1st Place, Best of Panama 2017).
In addition, we often partner with charities and socially or environmentally aware organisations, like the Hong Kong Adventist Hospital Foundation and Foodlink Foundation to work on different projects that contribute positively to our world.
As The Coffee Academïcs continue to strive for excellence in coffee experience, we will also continue to strive to promote excellence in our ESG practices.